Monday, November 24, 2014

My First Contact With Madonna (cont.)

So what did I do? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I stood there like a deer in headlights as the pre-school director rambled on and Madonna played on her Blackberry. Then it was over, and we started to file out – Madonna first of course. As my wife, daughter and I walked away from the school, I noticed Madonna and child and nanny getting into their black Escalade. Their driver was double parked in front, and he was holding open the back door for them. I caught one last glance of the pop star getting into the vehicle, and then they were whisked away. 

When we had walked a safe distance away from the school and the other parents, I whispered under my breath to my wife, “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”
“I think I am,” she said.
“You saw the blond woman in sunglasses who was with the little black girl?” I asked.
“Yes, I did.”
“I think that was Madonna.”
“Oh my God. That’s what I was thinking too!”
“That was definitely Madonna. It had to be her. She adopted a couple of African kids. Remember? It was all over the news.”
“Our daughter is in the same class with Madonna’s kid?”
“Looks like it,”
“Do you think anyone else noticed?”
“I don’t know,” I said. “She didn’t speak to anyone the whole time, and no one spoke to her. Why didn’t you go up to her and introduce yourself?”
“Why didn’t you?”
“Why should I? She probably gets hassled all the time. She’s probably glad no one came up to her.”
“Yeah, it’s probably better we didn’t do anything.”
“We don’t want to embarrass ourselves or our daughter,” I said.
“We did the right thing. You really think that was her, huh?”
“Yup.”


No comments:

Post a Comment